A couple of weeks ago, Parent & Child magazine published its list of “Top 100 Greatest Books for Kids.” I’m not sure how they decided what “greatest” meant, but they should know books pretty well because they’re part of Scholastic Books (the folks who publish the books most of you probably have at your school’s book fairs).
- Charlotte’s Web — The #1 choice. Is it my top kid book of all time? I’m not sure, but I did love it and would’ve definitely put it in my top 10.
- Goodnight Moon — A classic bedtime story for kids. I couldn’t begin to guess how many times we went through this one with both our kids. A sentimental favorite for plenty of parents, if nothing else.
- Where the Wild Things Are — Who doesn’t want to escape to a magical, fantastic island away from the real world sometimes?
- Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone — Not my favorite HP, but the series probably does deserve to be on the list.
- The Lightning Thief — I didn’t read this one until about half the series was out, but it hooked me. Actually, I think the quality of writing and storytelling got better with each book, which is always a good thing. My son and I are definitely Percy fans (especially with the new Heroes of Olympus series).
- The Hunger Games — I was a little surprised to see this one since it’s a relatively new book in the middle of so many classics. But I loved it, loved the entire trilogy, and thought they were very well written.
- Where the Mountain Meets the Moon — This was an interesting choice to me. I haven’t read it, but my daughter just did for a reading quiz bowl competition through school. Every kid on our team seemed to not like this one very much. Maybe I need to read it now to see for myself.
- Diary of a Wimpy Kid and The Adventures of Captain Underpants — Sure, these are funny, but I’m not sure they qualify for a “best ever” books list. Then again, it’s not my list.
Here’s the link to check out the entire “Top 100 Greatest Books for Kids.” See which ones are some of your favorites (or not on your favorite list), then come back here and leave a comment to let us know!